Saturday, August 13, 2011
It’s a Dog’s Life
James is out of town this weekend, so I have been having a Harry Potter marathon and making a quilt for my sister. I needed a break from that, so I decided to make a deposit at the bank for the complex we manage. I took Sophie (our dog) with me so that she could have some fresh air. The bank turned out to be closed (why do banks have to close early on Saturday?), so I thought the trip was pointless. What I didn't know is that it was just putting me in the right place at the right time.
A nice perk of being the managers is that we get to park in a carport. However, the carport happens to be down a mighty steep hill from where we actually live. Sophie and I were trudging up the hill back to the apartment when I heard some whimpering/barking. I quickly scooped up Sophie since she is still being trained not to run after other dogs and people to greet them. No one was in sight, so I couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from. The whimpering continued, and all of a sudden, out of the air, off our balcony roof flew a tiny white fluff ball that turned out to be a puppy. It landed hard on the asphalt and let out a puppy wail and wasn't moving. I sprinted up the hill, tossed Sophie in the apartment and ran back outside. I assumed the puppy was a goner, but then I saw it move. I scooped him up into one hand and ran back to my apartment to call my dad. (He always knows what to do) He said to call animal control and tell them what happened.
While I was waiting for the officer to arrive, the puppy started moving more and was breathing just fine. I assume the fall made him pretty dazed, but he didn't seem to be bleeding too much (although afterwards, my shirt had a big blood spot) After the animal control officer arrived, he asked me to call and find out if the puppy belonged to the tenants that live above us (their bathroom and bedroom windows are directly above our balcony roof). Those tenants had not notified us that they were planning on getting a pet, so I didn't think it belonged to them. (My dad hypothesized that maybe a big bird got it and dropped it. That would have made the story even crazier!)
I called the tenant and left a voice message. Almost instantly, he called me back and I told him what happened. The tenant said that they had sent James a text message about the puppy, but he hadn't replied (I assume because he is out of cell phone service).The officer had asked me to call dispatch back to let him know my findings, so I did that right away. Dispatch just asked for the tenant's name and phone number and said that they would handle it.
Hopefully the puppy will turn out to be ok. (He was standing and seemed fine when the officer put him in the cage for the truck) That was probably the craziest thing I have ever seen, I keep playing it back in my head and it totally didn't look real. I can wait for James to get home so I can tell him what happened!
He looked just like this:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Puppies from the sky - that IS crazy. This sounds like a post I'd read on my brother Jeff's blog. What is it with animals in Logan? Hope the little guy is okay.
ReplyDeleteWhat a crazy story! Good thing you were there to save the little guy.
ReplyDelete